This blog should be called "The Adventures of a Fabric Junkie!". I am passionate about fabric, threads, colours and textures. I can record my crazy quilting, sane quilting, embroidery and everything else that I consider important in my life.

Photo shows my block for the Hurricane Katrina fund-raising quilt "All That Jazz".

Monday, March 14, 2011

Naked Block for the Japanese Fundraising Quilt

I came home from work today and went straight out to the studio for three hours to sort through my fabric stash for some suitable jewel coloured fabrics for my block.  I even found two Japanese storks which I didn't know that I had and attached one to the block with fusible web to keep it in place until I can stitch around it.  Anyway, I think this naked block will give me lots of scope for incorporating Japanese icons such as Cherry Blossoms, bamboo, maple leaves, pagodas, fish, fans - I am looking forward to starting the embroidery on it now. Here's my naked block with only the pink bird iron in place.  The middle piece looks like water to me so I might start with a bright orange Koi.  There is not a lot we can do to help the people of Japan at this time apart from offering our prayers of support so hopefully when we have finished the quilts, the money raised will go a long way towards making life just a little bit more bearable for some.

11 comments:

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Your Japan nake block is lovely. Hugs Judy

crafty cat corner said...

Great, will be watching this grow....
Briony

Connie said...

Wow - very nice as usual. (-;

Laurie said...

I love what you've done, and look forward to seeing the completed block. I need to start mine also.

Diane said...

Wow, that was fast! It's looking really nice with lots of potential.

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

Beautiful block - I love the stork and the way you have used it! Can't wait to see it progress!
Hugs,
Kerry

Cathy said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous block, Viv! I hope everyone follows your beautiful lead, color-wise! Hugs, Cathy K

Viv and Eddie said...

Thank you everyone for your lovely and encouraging comments on my naked Japanese block. I have decided that my first piece of embroidered will be two orange Koi fish in the central watery patch. Can't concentrate too well at work today, too busy thinking and planning......

Bear said...

Viv
its beautiful, and it almost screams for the orange Koi doesnt it?? love the stork!!
love n hugs bear oxoxoxoxo

Ati said...

This is a beautiful block. I will follow your blog you to see it finished. Much lovely work on your blog too on the other blocks!

pineapple_ing said...

Hi Viv,
I don't comment much or very often on groups, blogs, etc., but when I do it's because I've been inspired by what was created and you are one that has done so. You are very talented and I will add quick too, LOL! Thank you also for the little tutorials you so freely give on how you create your beautiful works of art. ~Ingrid